Saturday, February 19, 2011

A beautifully sunny evening and my favorite baobob tree which splits the road in two on the way out of Mangunde. 

 This is Marta, which turned out to be male, but the name stuck.  Somehow, a local kid caught him and tied him up in a tree near my house.  

A small bank of huts in the zonas outside of Mangunde.  I like to walk and bike around on the paths out here in my free time.  On this day, I happened to be coming back just as an intense rain storm was moving in.  It was getting dark, but the sun was setting and still shinning brightly behind to create the rainbow.

1 comment:

  1. Ian,

    Beautiful picture of the Baobab tree. I am going to paint it, that's for sure. If you could, send it to Target Photo, on Lake Street, in Minneapolis. Put down my name for the pick-up. I'll pick it up and pay for it.

    The events in Zimbabwe are of concern to me. Africa has at least three leaders who have lost their minds. One is in Libya. One in Ivory Coast. And one in Zimbabwe.

    In all three places, violence holds an upper hand. I hope that before your time in Mozambique is over, you'll get to go to Zimbabwe. For two reasons. The sheer beauty of the country. And the devastating rule of Mugabe when he used race to judge all things, and destroyed the land, its capacity to produce, and hope for so many people.

    I can feel you settling into the Mozambique landscape. I can feel it in your writing. This place is not home. It isn't unusual. It is home. It has become part of you. That will be true for the rest of your life. Nothing could be better, or longer lasting.

    Good job.

    If you have any other shots you think might become a painting, send'em to Target. I'll do the best I can and then e-mail them to you.

    With much love,

    Uncle Larry

    ReplyDelete