Wednesday, June 27, 2012

JUNTOS Trocas and Debauched Drivers


Good morning, it’s a cool Friday morning here in Mangunde and I am enjoying a rare respite from the typically hectic and demanding atmosphere of life as a Peace Corps volunteer.  This week, at school, is exam week, and all of the students are currently taking final exams for the second trimester.  This means that here in my house, the usual pandemonium of students and teachers coming and going and asking for help with this or that is in a brief but nonetheless pleasing recess.  This past month has been especially busy as, in addition to carrying out my normal responsibilities as a teacher – teaching 24 hours per week – I have also been heavily involved in organizing extracurricular activities.  The months of May and June have, thus far, seen the realization of four very successful events in Mangunde.  First, my JUNTOS group (Jovens Unidos No Trabalho para Oportunidades e Sucesso) hosted two other nearby JUNTOS groups for two days in what we call here a “troca de experiência” or an “exchange of experiences.”  The very next weekend, my other JUNTOS group (we have two separate groups) travelled to Estaquinha, a neighboring mission school, for their own troca de experiência, the following week our school’s boys volleyball team (which I have now been officially named the coach of) took a sports field trip to Machanga, yet another neighboring school under the same mission organization, and just last weekend, my JUNTOS group here in Mangunde hosted the granddaddy of them all, a three-day workshop with over 40 students, and 4 professors which taught the students about important JUNTOS themes in their communities like gender equality, HIV/AIDS, violence, reproductive health and for them personally, leadership skills, self-esteem and communication.  These events have consumed my life for the last month because, as you might have guessed, even the simplest sounding detail can get complicated quickly here in Africa. 

After all of the prep work, however, the troca was unequivocally a huge success.  The students got together and were able to do activities and games relating to the important themes that JUNTOS stresses, each of the groups were able to present theater pieces that they had prepared for the occasion and at the end of the night we were able to hook up some speakers and have ourselves a bumpin’ dance party. 

There were, of course, a few challenges.  The first of which was the quality of food served.  Our students here in Mangunde are accustomed to very low quality meals – for lunch and dinner every day of every week they are served something called muguy-ee-wa with feijão nhemba.  This is essentially the poor man’s rice and beans, but instead of rice, which is only bought by people who have actual salaries (teachers and doctors), you have this muguy-ee-wa as your starch – imagine a really thick cattle feed boiled with water – and instead of beans you have feijão nhemba which actually are beans, but not the kind you may be used to seeing.  They are tiny, the size of lentils, and mixed into a watery and salty sauce before being added to the muguy-ee-wa.  I’ve eaten in the boarding school before, and suffice is to say, I don’t dine there if I can avoid it.  Anyway, this is the food that was served for all of the visiting students at the troca and while my Mangunde students ate this delicacy compliantly, the other students were not as excited and there were a few hunger strikes that happened over the course of the weekend.  Teenage girls of any culture aren’t necessarily the most accepting and flexible people in the world, and these girls from Dombe were not having anything to do with the meal choices that weekend.  They would turn up their noses and claim, “I’d rather go hungry!” 

Outside of our culinary oversights, there was one other challenge that I had to deal with on that weekend which trumped all other minor snafus.  This challenge, like most challenges in Mozambique, happened to fall under the category of transportation confusion.  Before I tell you the details of the exact situation, let me say that I like to think of myself generally as a pretty cool, calm and collected person.  I don’t get too worked up, deal with people respectfully and certainly don’t get into fights.  23 years growing up in the Midwest have ensured that I instinctually avoid conflicts like poison.  This particular situation, however, was too much for even my non-confrontational self to hold back on.

 We had organized a chapa (mini-bus) to come to Mangunde on Sunday and bring the Dombe students back to their school at the end of the weekend.  We had arranged for the driver to pick the students up at 8 o’clock Sunday morning, but 9 o’clock came and went, 10 o’clock, 11 o’clock, 12, 1, 2p.m all went by and the driver still hadn’t come.  He had called at 10a.m. to tell us that he was at the intersection and would be there in 30 minutes, but had clearly been lying through his teeth.

So finally, at 3 p.m. he rumbled into the mission with his music blaring.  The students had been sitting for 8 hours, with no lunch and nothing to do, getting irritable.  At this point, I approach him with the fire of hell in my stomach ready to give him everything he deserved – chew him out for coming 8 hours late, for lying about being here, for leaving us stranded with no food – and he stepped out of the driver’s side of the car with a grin so vile and revolting that words could never truly do it justice. 

You have to understand that there is some inexpressible quality about chapa drivers that one can only viscerally feel when in their presence.  I don’t know if it’s the pungent smell of rotting foam seats, or goat urine coming from the back of the car, or simply the knowledge that their only motivation is to fuck you over and rip you off, but whenever one gets close to a chapa driver there is something palpable in the air that you can almost taste, a nauseating mixture of everything evil in the world.  I don’t think it’s possible for me to truly describe such foulness in words here on this page, but if any of you are lucky enough to visit Mozambique and even luckier to organize private transport with a chapa driver you will feel the ineffable qualities that I am failing to convey here. 

So when the chapa driver opened the door and stepped out of the car and I saw his disgusting grin and was hit by the smell of beer and rotting yeast emanating from the car I had to first swallow the little bit of vomit that had crept its way up the back of my throat, compose myself, and address him.

I first asked him, “Do you know what time it is?” expecting him to shrink back in shame for his blatant tardiness.  He looked at his phone and said, “Yes, it’s 3 p.m.” He was completely sincere and unapologetic.  Then I thought that maybe he needed a reminder.   I asked, “What time did we agree on meeting you?”  There were sweat stains emerging from under his armpits and he had beads of sweat forming on the top of his shaved head.  His odor was rank.  He responded, still maintaining a veneer of light-hearted cordiality, “Ah, well we had a flat tire on the way in.  You know…”  The insults echoed in my head, but I hadn’t been pushed far enough yet for them to come out.  “No, I don’t know.  Six hours to fix a flat tire?  Do you think I’m an idiot?  Just tell me that you were lazy, hanging out, drinking with your buddies, and don’t care about people that are depending on you, and we’ll move on and get out of here, but don’t give me this flat tire bullshit.” 

Anyway, I didn’t actually say any of this and realized that chewing him out was not going to go anywhere, so I told him, “Don’t worry about it.  Let’s just go.  The students are tired and hungry and want to get home.”  The students climbed into the chapa  and let me say that the 15 passenger van that he was riding around in was a far cry from anything that would pass road safety regulations in the states.  There were two rows of seats in the back that were each meant for three people maximum, but were saddled with four people each, and the front two rows had apparently been removed at some point, because instead of seats there were now empty beer crates on the floor for people to sit on. 

When it came time to negotiating the price, shit hit the proverbial fan.  We had pre-arranged a price when he dropped off  the students the day before and now he was saying that he wanted more money.  Let me repeat: he, Mr. 8-hours-late, wanted more money.  At one point in the bitter argument that ensued, I squeezed my fist tightly and almost punched this grown man in the face.  He claimed that it was now so late in the afternoon that he would not be able to pick up other passengers en route, and therefore, we needed to buy out all of the seats in the chapa.  He also wanted us to pay an extra fare for having had to come all the way into the mission, when he had said from the beginning that he had relatives living here and would be visiting them anyway.  After these demands, he said that if we didn’t comply he would simply take the students as far as their money got them and leave them on the side of the highway at night.

I hope that the reader can understand the pure and rancid lack of logic in the arguments that made me want to kill this man in the first place.  But lest you forgot, HE WAS 8 HOURS LATE!  Not once did he apologize or even accept a sliver of guilt for making us wait 8 hours for him.  No, he decided that instead of apologizing, he would capitalize on the fact that he was late and try to squeeze more money out of the situation.  I remember thinking at the time that in a normal society it would have been appropriate me to ask for a discount in a situation like this.  He ruined our day, made the students miss lunch, and clearly botched the agreement that we had made.  In my culture, this would be seen as reprehensible behavior and I could probably complain to his company and get the driver fired.  When I suggested a discount to this greasy driver, however, I was laughed at.  “What a ridiculous idea; the muzungu (white) wants a discount. Where does he think he is, America?”  I imagine that in many societies adults understand when other people are depending on them and may even make efforts to fulfill responsibilities they are given.  After many experiences here in Mozambique, however, I don’t understand why, but I’ve realized that this crucial concept of responsibility is scarce, and, in the world of transportation arrangements, it’s non-existent.

There was no way to reconcile such a villain. Therefore after throwing my hands up countless times, calling him a heartless bastard and an idiot on a number of occasions I was forced to pay the money he asked for because, frankly, we had no other choice.  It was either go with him, or get left on the side of the highway with 15 teenagers at night.  Even writing this blog post a month after this happened, I am getting riled up just thinking about it.  I can’t let it ruin the fact that we had a wonderful weekend though, and a very successful troca.

Thanks for reading and HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!  I know it’s a little late, but better late than never.  I hope that you are all enjoying the warm June weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment